Preventing Illness and Promoting Wellness for Communities in Eastern Connecticut

  • Andover
  • Ashford
  • Bolton
  • Chaplin
  • Columbia
  • Coventry
  • Mansfield
  • Scotland
  • Tolland
  • Willington

Food Recalls

Food Service

Eastern Highlands Health District regulates all food service establishments operating within the district through our food service licensing and inspection program.  Any place where food is prepared and intended for individual portion service is considered a food service establishment including restaurants, cafeterias, grocery and convenience stores, coffee shops and delis.  Caterers and itinerant food vendors are also regulated by the health district through our licensing and inspection program.  


Food Service Establishments

Plan Review and Licensing Process


What is required:

1. A Food Service Plan Review Application is required whenever a food service establishment is constructed or remodeled and whenever an existing structure is converted to use as a food service establishment.

2. A Food Service License Application is required for any new food service establishment and whenever there is an ownership transfer at an existing licensed food service establishment.

The plan review and licensing process not only ensures compliance with the FDA Food Code, it also results in a facility that fosters safe food handling procedures, adequate sanitation and good personal hygiene practices to provide a high quality, safe product for customers.

Please review the EHHD Sanitary Code, Section 4 and CFPM Requirements for additional information.

Please click this link for additional information about the FDA Food Code and implementation at EHHD.




Below is an outline of the steps involved in opening a NEW establishment in a NEW building or Remodel of a building not previously used for food service.

  • Review of the Plan Review Application will begin after payment and supporting documents are received.  It may take up to 10 working days after submission for the initial review.
  • Upon completion of the review, EHHD will generate a review memo detailing any deficiencies in the plan or conditions of approval.  Revisions to the plan or additional information may be required for approval. 
  • A pre-operational inspection, with all equipment in place and on line, will be performed by EHHD.  All deficiencies shall be addressed before the pre-opening inspections.
  • When you are ready for a pre-operational inspection, apply online for the Food Service License at
  • Submit the following items with the license application
  • Pay License Fee (online or deliver check to main office)
  • A pre-opening inspection will be performed by EHHD. 
  • When all outstanding issues are addressed to the satisfaction of EHHD, the Food Service License will be issued and the facility will be approved to open.

*Support documents and payments may be uploaded with the application or delivered to the main office at 4 South Eagleville Road, Mansfield, CT 06268

The new establishment will require an approved sewage disposal system design or access to public sewers. 

The water supply to the new establishment must be from a source approved by the CT Department of Public Health (DPH) Drinking Water Section.  If a new well is proposed, the well site also requires DPH approval.

When all outstanding issues are addressed to the satisfaction of EHHD, the Food Service License will be issued and the facility will be approved to open.

NOTE: The issuance of a food service establishment license does not permit you to operate this business without the approval of other state and local government agencies and officials where applicable.  Please contact your local building, zoning and fire marshal’s office to inquire about their requirements.


The Eastern Highlands Health District Sanitary Code Section - 4.3.a, states “In the case of transfer of ownership of an existing food service establishment to a new owner, the new owner shall submit an application for a license on forms provided by the District.  The establishment shall be brought into compliance with this “Sanitary Code” and the Connecticut Public Health code by correcting all violations before a license to operate can be issued.  “The license is not transferable.”

1. Complete the Food Service Establishment Ownership Transfer Application at
2. Pay the application fee (online or deliver check to main office) 
Note: if this is not a “turn-key” change of ownership, additional plan review fees will be assessed.
3. Provide the following support documents:

4. Complete the Food Service License application at: Submit the following items with the license application:

5. Pay the license fee (online or deliver check to main office)
6. A pre-opening inspection will be performed by EHHD.
7. When all outstanding issues are addressed to the satisfaction of EHHD, the Food Service License will be issued and the facility will be approved to open.

EHHD Food Service Fee Schedule

EHHD Sanitary Code, Section 4

FDA Food Code

Guidelines for Classifying FSEs

CFPM Replacement Notification

Alternate Person in Charge During Non- Peak Hours Form

Approved organizations for Certified Food Protection Manager certification

Connecticut Restaurant Association Servsafe Manager Class Schedule

Catering Food Service Establishment - A business involved in the sale or distribution of food and drink prepared in bulk in one geographic location for service in individual portions at another or which involves preparation and service of food on public or private premises not under the ownership or control of the operator of such services. (CT general statutes 19a-36a through 19a-36o)


Itinerant Food Vending Establishment - A food vending business serving food or drink from any establishment or conveyance without a fixed location and with a connection to a water supply and sewage disposal system.  (CT general statutes 19a-36a through 19a-36o)

Itinerant Food Vendor Information Form        



Itinerant Food Vendor - Base of Operation Declaration Form



Temporary Food Service Events and Farmer's Markets

Per the CT General Statutes and Eastern Highlands Health District Sanitary Code, individuals and organizations serving food to the public on a temporary basis (1-14 days) are operating a Temporary Food Establishment and must apply for a Temporary Food Service License for each event.  The purpose of the temporary food service license and guidelines is to help you to minimize the risk of foodborne illness from the event.  By following these guidelines, you can help ensure the safety of the foods served and, in turn, protect the health of your patrons. 

Exceptions are:

Pot luck Supper: A non-commercial temporary food service function in which many people fully prepare, in their homes, food items or "dishes" that are offered and available for public consumption at the function.  No food preparation occurs at the function and the event must clearly publicize home prepared foods

Bake Sale: A non-commercial temporary food service event at which only traditional bake sale food products are sold.  Examples include, but are not limited to cakes, cookies and bread.

Temporary Food Service license application (Apply Online) and temporary food event (TFE) guidelines 

Farmer's Market Vendors

Farmers' Market Vendors serving food, serving samples or conducting cooking demonstrations are all regulated as Temporary Food Establishments and require a Temporary Food Service License as well.  Farmers who are selling only fresh, raw, unprocessed produce at a farmers' market typically do not need a temporary food service license. 

Farmers' Market Temporary Food Service license application (Apply Online) and temporary food event (TFE) guidelines

Additional Information for Temporary Food Service Events & Farmers' Markets

Changes to Farmers Market Food Vendor Licensing Requirements; May 3, 2023

DPH Compliance Guide for Temporary Foodservice Events  

Food Service (Individual Portions), Sampling and Cooking Demonstrations

Base of Operation Declaration Form  

Sample Handwashing Station for temporary food event

Sketch of Temporary Food Event Setup